Tuesday, November 08, 2005

NEW HOPE

What a nice title, you say. It is, isn't it? It's also the name of a neat little town on the Delaware River in Pennsylvania. Dickie and I visited there the other day. It's the home of the Bucks County Playhouse, pictured below:




While we were in New Hope, we walked out on the bridge over the river and also took a short stroll along the canal that runs along the river. Visitors to that part of the world often take a boat ride down the canal. We've done that on an earlier occasion. It's a great way to party. As you can see in this next shot, the canal doesn't exactly rival the one in Panama, but it affords some nice scenery, especially when the flowers are blooming or the leaves are turning:




On the way home, we stopped by Washington's Crossing State Park, which commemorates General Washington's crossing the Delaware to surprise the Hessians at Trenton, some eight miles to the south. The victories at Trenton and, shortly thereafter, at Princeton are regarded as the turning point in the Revolutionary War. Here's what the Delaware looks like at that point today. In Washington's day there was a ferry crossing here. Today a narrow bridge spans the same water just to the south:





By the way, since it isn't obvious, I suppose I should point out that, if you click on the title, "New Hope", above, you can access more of my photos which I have linked to that title. I've been doing that linking for a few weeks now. The first time I did it by accident. Now I'm doing it on purpose. Enjoy!




No comments:

Contributors