Wednesday, December 14, 2005

BACK IN THE GOLDEN STATE

Here we are back in California. We flew back to this part of the world on December 7. It was a long trip, seventeen hours from door to door, according to Dickie's calculations.


We flew on American Airlines this time and had a stopover in Dallas where we barely managed to catch our next flight. In fact, the attendant at another the gate, where we stopped to ask about connections, said he thought our plane had already left. Fortunately, he was wrong by about ten minutes. Not only that, but, after we left the gate, we spent another hour on the ground while the plane was being de-iced. That was a new experience for us. We were still lucky to get in the air. Four hundred other flights from Dallas that day were cancelled.

We literally left the ice and snow behind us when we came west. This is what it looked like in our front yard a day or two before we left:


We got to celebrate Thanksgiving with our East Coast family and also with our son, Peter, from here on the West Coast. Peter had made the trip to Virginia and New Jersey a few days earlier.
I also spent some time photographing the gulls as they jumped from the pier posts to avoid the splash of the incoming waves. This is what it looked like:


BACK IN CALIFORNIA

There's no snow in this part of the world. In fact, some of our trees still have quite a few leaves. I took this picture yesterday on our morning walk through the neighborhood:


We also caught this robin taking his morning bath in the local vineyard. He was one of many who are apparently stopping by on their way to warmer climes:


I have to show you one more picture. It's not mine, but I think it's a great one. Our daughter, Gretchen, loves to hike and spent several days in Yosemite National Park this past summer. She got this picture, among many others, on one of her trips:


That's about it for now. Hope you're enjoying the pre-holiday period!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carl, yesterday Milt got caught up on reading your enjoyable blogs and this morning I have done the same thing. It's harder to remember to go to your blog, even though I have it "bookmarked."
But now that I got there again, I want to tell you that I really enjoy experiencing your adventures through your lenses and word descriptions. I remember when I was into photography my main goal was to get the shot. For better or for worse, I am no longer camera driven, and I am almost afraid that if I were to get a digital camera I would again become compulsive about it. You do have many truly excellent shots. I'm thinking about the pelican and the owl with the white backgrounds behind them. I am curious to know how you achieved getting that totally white background. Thanks for sharing! Carol S.

Contributors