Wednesday, March 08, 2006

MARCH RECORDS

As I said a few days back, our killdeers have returned to the local school grounds and, once again, are nesting on the rocks in front of the parking lot. As of today, there are three eggs in the nest. Since these birds usually have four eggs, I suspect we'll see another egg in a day or two. Here's what the nest looked like today:



Update:

I went back again today (March 9) and, sure enough, there were four eggs; so now the nest looks like this:




Notice that one of the earlier and larger eggs has been moved up (in the picture) and a smaller, not quite so speckled, egg is now nestled among the others.

It's really difficult to distinguish the killdeer eggs from the rocks around them. I've made it easier for you by cropping these shots and focussing on the eggs. As you walk by, you can look right at the nest and not see it, as I'm sure most passers by do. The nesting bird will get up and do its best to draw people away from the nest, often affecting a broken wing as it slowly moves away. Here's what that looks like in a shot I took last year:



OUR LOCAL HAWK

Every once in a while on our morning walks, we spot a hawk or two. This one flew past us a couple days ago. The image is a bit fuzzy since the hawk was moving fast and I'm not too steady with my telephoto lens, but this was one of the closest shots I've ever been able to get of him:



A FRIENDLY DUCK

I had no trouble getting close to this fellow at a local winery the other week. He was used to being fed by visitors and walked right up, as if to say, "Whatcha got for me?". Later, he stood in the water and waited for another handout as I snapped this picture:



THE INDIA TRIP

As I mentioned in my last blog, our daughter, Mary, and her husband, Christopher, just spent some time in India ( I guess they were checking things out for President Bush). Mary took my Olympus digital with her and snapped a few shots along the way. Here they are on the beach together at the Ideal Resort on the southeast coast of India:



I can't post all the pictures Mary took, but here's one of the much-revered elephant. This one was trained to bless visitors by tapping them with his trunk:



As you probably know, Ganesha is the elephant-deity of the Hindus. The son of Shiva and Parvati, he has an elephantine face with a curved trunk and large ears and a huge pot-bellied body of a human being. Ganesha is known as the Lord of success and destroyer of evils and obstacles. Here's a shot of him (center) that Mary got at a temple she visited:



So much for today. Have a good month, wherever you may be!



No comments:

Contributors