Friday, March 11, 2005

POINT REYES

Dickie and I drove down to Point Reyes yesterday. It was kind of a whim on a nice afternoon. We weren't alone. There were quite a few people taking advantage of the glorious weather. We went all the way out to the lighthouse on the point where I took the picture below. The surf was up, too, because of the storm that originated in Alaska.

lighthouse.jpg

We didn't see any whales, although people were looking. Someone told me that fifteen of them had been spotted in one day a couple weeks ago. The ranger I talked to said that the peak of the season will come at the end of March and the beginning of April. He mentioned that he had seen as many as fifty in a day. In all our trips out to the coast over the years, I think Dickie and I have only seen one! That was a youngster that came into the Bodega Bay boat channel a couple weeks ago. He sufaced every few minutes while we were there, but never enough for me to get a good picture. This was the best I could do. I know, it looks mor like a rock than a whale:

lighthouse.jpg

Anyway, it was a fun trip yesterday. Those huge smooth-topped hills and mountains down that way are all green now from the winter rains. Of course, in a few weeks they'll turn to gold under the warmth of the sun. This is a great time of year!

No comments:

Contributors