Friday, April 22, 2005

STILL FOLLOWING THE BIRDS

Dickie and I went to see "The Parrots of Telegraph Hill" yesterday. What a great documentary! As Dickie said, you don't really expect to shed tears in a documentary, but I guess we both did. I didn't know about these parrots in San Francisco until I saw the movie. As the movie explains, they're not native to these parts. In fact, exactly how they got here is still a mystery. In any case, I'll be watching for them on my trips to the city from now on.

A bird that is native to our area is the California quail. We see them on our daily walks here in Windsor all the time. The California quail with its curved black crown feather has a little more pizzazz than the quail I knew as a boy in Missouri. Here's a couple we saw sitting in a tree on today's walk:


quailmates.jpg


We're still watching that killdeer nest in the front yard of a neighbor down the road. Nothing has happened yet. The four eggs are still unhatched. Both birds were there when we passed by this morning. One of them buzzed us and the other one ran at us on the ground as if to drive us off. They really don't know their own strength or non-strength, I guess. We think there may be another nest again on the edge of the school parking lot, but we haven't been able to locate anything new there yet. There were three mature birds milling around where we think the nest may be. We'll keep watching.

No comments:

Contributors