Monday, August 01, 2005

SUMMER WANES

Here we are in August already! Where does the time go? Well, I know, but it goes so fast! There just isn't time enough for everything a guy wants to do, especially when he gets older and slower.

Dickie and I had a fun trip to San Francisco last week. We drove down to Larkspur on Thursday and took the ferry across to the Embarcadero. Since we expected the tall ships to come sailing by that point around eleven A.M., we waited. Nothing happened, so we finally decided to get a bite of lunch in one of the sandwich shops. By the time we came back, the first ship had already sailed by and, since there were only two of the big ones, we had missed half the show. Fortunately for us, the second ship was even better looking than the first (according to other spectators). Here's what it looked like:

As you can see, there were also many smaller vessels trailing along. There was also a Navy oiler bringing up the rear. It was a good show! The ferry ride itself was enjoyable. It was the first time we had taken that particular trip, although we had visited Angel Island by ferry last year. This ride takes you past both San Quentin and Alcatraz. I snapped a couple of photos at those places, too. Here's a close-up at San Quentin:


And here's a shot of Alcatraz with the Golden Gate Bridge on the left:


SONOMA COUNTY FAIR

I spent a few hours at the fair last week, too. It's free to seniors on Tuesdays, so I packed up my telephoto and drove down on Tuesday morning to see what I could find.

I found that there were other seniors taking it all in:

I found this little porker taking a nap:



And these young people enjoying a swing:



Yes, county fairs can be fun!

No comments:

Contributors