Monday, April 24, 2006

HERE AND THERE

Most of us Schmidt's got together on Easter Sunday for brunch at Gretchen's house in Santa Rosa. In the afternoon some of us took a short walk over to the Luther Burbank House. On the way I snapped this picture of some tulips in the front yard of one of the neighbors. They're a colorful lot, don't you think?:



We didn't go into the Burbank house on this occasion, but my daughter, Mary, and I did walk through the yard. There were some flowers blooming, but it wasn't spectacular yet this early in the season. I did get Mary to pose in front of this massive stand of cactus just outside the House, a place you might want to visit, if you ever come to Santa Rosa:



THE de YOUNG MUSEUM

Last Thursday Dickie and I went with Mary and Christopher and Gretchen to visit the controversial and newly re-opened de Young Museum in San Francisco. The Museum has just been rebuilt. The work on the grounds is still in progress. Some people like what they see in the new building. Others have reservations. I personally liked it. Sorry, I didn't get a shot of the whole building. There's a tower on the northeast corner of the new building which gives you a great view of the surrounding area there in the Praesidio. This is a view looking to the northeast. If you look closely, you can see the top of the Golden Gate Bridge just beyond the wooded hill:


The sculpture below stands just outside the northwest corner of the building. It appeared to be made of glass, although from this angle and in this light, you would think it had metal in it:


I suppose we spent most of our time looking at the paintings in the American section. I took quite a few pictures, but without a flash and without a tripod, not too many of them turned out well. Here's one Dickie liked by Robert Gwathmey (1903-1988). It's called "Cotton Picker":



Here's another by an artist whose name I can't recall, but I don't think you'll have any trouble figuring out what the name of the painting is:


That's about it for today. It's looking like rain again here in Windsor, although we have had more sunshine lately. I took this picture on our morning walk yesterday. I like roses:



See you again soon.

No comments:

Contributors